A reader submitted this egg-free sauerkraut rye bread recipe. She gave directions for a bread machine, which I don't own. It works just as well baked in a conventional oven. The sauerkraut adds the characteristic tang of a good rye bread without having to make a sourdough starter that can take days, if not weeks. It's moist and has a nice crisp crust. I used all-purpose flour in place of the bread flour and dark corn syrup in place of the molasses, and the recipe turned out well. And here are Leftover Rye Bread Recipes.
- 2 1/4 cups flour (for bread)
- 1 cup flour (rye)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (1 packet, instant)
- 3/4 cup water (warm)
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway (seeds)
- 1 cup sauerkraut (well drained, not rinsed)
- 1 egg (beaten with 1 teaspoon water, or vegetable oil, to brush on risen dough)
- In a larger bowl or a stand mixer, whisk together flours and yeast. In a separate bowl, mix together 3/4 cup warm water, butter, brown sugar, molasses, salt and caraway seeds. Transfer to bowl with flours and yeast, and mix slightly. Add sauerkraut and mix until a dough ball forms. Knead with the dough hook for 3 minutes, or 5 or more minutes by hand, to activate the gluten. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in a warm place. This can take up to 2 hours or more.
- Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead a few turns and flatten into a rectangle that is 10 inches wide. Roll up from one long side, pinch seams together, pinch ends together and place, seam-side down in the prepared loaf pan. Brush with oil or egg-water mixture. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled. This can take up to 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees, 40 to 50 minutes, but begin checking at 30 minutes. Remove from oven and remove from loaf pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|