|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Here's a delicious sweet-tart winter stew, and it's packed with nutritious ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage, such as chicken and apple sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small head of cabbage, about 1 1/2 pounds, outer leaves and core removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, undrained, diced
- salt, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or kettle over medium heat.
Add onion, carrots, celery, and sliced sausage to the pan; saute for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion is wilted.
Add the garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
Add the cabbage, apple juice, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the beans, parsley, and tomatoes. Taste and add salt, as needed.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes longer.