|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 56g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||51%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Here's a delicious sweet-tart winter stew, and it's packed with nutritious ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage (such as chicken and apple sausage, thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) head of cabbage (outer leaves and core removed, coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (15-ounce) can navy beans (or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes (undrained, diced)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or kettle over medium heat.
Add onion, carrots, celery, and sliced sausage to the pan. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion is wilted.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
Add the cabbage, apple juice, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the beans, parsley, and tomatoes. Taste and add salt, as needed.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes longer.
You Might Also Like