- 6 large sweet onions
- 1 cup/240 mL panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup/80mL chicken broth
- 1/4 pound/60 mL ground Italian sausage, cooked
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Leave the skins on the onions. Cut off root end making a flat bottom. Cut off the top and save. Hollow out the onion leaving about 3 layers on the outside.
2. Combine cooked sausage with chicken broth, panko breadcrumbs, pine nuts, tomato paste, and parsley. Scoop equal amounts into each onion (you might end up with more filling than onion) Place tops back on onions and wrap in aluminum foil. Don't wrap them too tightly or the steam might burst the package.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
4. Place onions on grill and cook for about 1 hour or until very tender. Once cooked, remove from grill and let foil packet sit for about 10 minutes before opening.
5. Using heat-resistant gloves, carefully open foil packets. Remove outer skin. Serve onions topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.