|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Here's a tangy sausage and sauerkraut dish your family will enjoy. Serve this sauerkraut dish with hot baked biscuits or crusty rolls. I like this dish a little sweet, but feel free to cut back on the sugar to suit your own taste.
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 pounds cold pack sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, such as andouille, kielbasa, or chicken apple sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, or to taste, optional
Heat oven to 425 F.
In a large ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onion and sliced sausages in vegetable oil until onion is golden and sausage is lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the apples and saute for 1 minute longer.
Add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, sauerkraut, and pepper.
Add caraway seeds, if using.
Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Serve with crusty rolls or biscuits and a tossed salad.
Serves 8 to 10.
Paula's Smoked Sausage Stew