These Southern sausage balls are always the hit of the party. Add some grated onion or finely chopped green onion or add a bit of poultry seasoning.
These sausage balls are made with hot ground sausage, cheese, baking mix, and optional seasonings.
- 1 pound hot or mild ground pork sausage
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups baking mix
- Optional: 2 tablespoons grated onion
- Optional: 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the raw ground sausage and shredded cheese with the baking mix until well blended. If desired, mix in the grated onion and poultry seasoning.
- Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- If you are unsure of doneness, you can check with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of a sausage ball. They should register at least 160 F, the minimum safe temperature for ground pork.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Serve with toothpicks and a mustard mayonnaise dip or ranch style dressing.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|