|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 40g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||64%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This dip recipe is a crowd-pleaser that you can easily accommodate for all tastes. Once you make this sausage dip, you won't be able to get enough of it, because it’s so good and satisfying. Serve it hot on toast, with corn chips, or sliced bell peppers. The options are limitless!
This recipe is a great candidate for the Instant Pot. All you have to do is heat the Instant Pot on the sauté function, then cook the ground sausage until it is no longer pink. Add the Rotel and cream cheese, and seal the Instant Pot lid and make sure the vent is closed. Turn the setting to manual and cook for 3 minutes then release the pressure and stir the mixture until fully incorporated. Scoop the mixture into a serving dish and surround it with chips.
“This is a quick and easy dip that will be a crowd pleaser at your next get together. The can of Rotel adds just enough spice. Personally, I’d like it a bit cheesier so next time I’ll either add another block of cream cheese or use less ground sausage.” —Carrie Parente
1 pound ground sausage
1 (10.5-ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
Corn chips, for serving
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain the excess fat.
Lower the heat to medium. Add the Rotel and cream cheese.
Stir occasionally until the cheese is fully melted and the mixture is combined, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl and serve with the chips on the side.
- When making this dip you can cut back on the level of spice by using canned diced tomatoes instead of Rotel. Rotel is canned diced tomatoes with green chilis, so if you’re not a lover of spice and prefer a mild dip just make this small adjustment.
- Alternatively, you could add another can of diced green chilis if you’d like to up the spice factor.
- Try adding 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning or 1 to 2 teaspoons of ancho chili powder for an even spicier option. Or you could add 1 diced jalapeño or a couple of tablespoons of diced pickled jalapeños depending on the kind of spice you enjoy most.
- If you’re really a cheese lover try adding 1/2 cup water or stock, and about half a block (4 ounces) of Velveeta cheese along with the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle the top with Monterey jack and pop in the broiler for a few minutes for an even more decadent dip.
How to Freeze and Reheat
To make things even easier on yourself, freeze this dip in an airtight container for up to three months. Remove from the freezer the night before you want to serve the dip and allow it to thaw in the fridge, then just reheat in the microwave, about 2 minutes at a time, stirring often. If you don't have a microwave, you can reheat the dip on the stovetop on medium-low heat.
If the dip is too thick, try adding about 1/4 cup of chicken stock or water while warming and stirring. If it’s too thin, add more cream cheese, about 1 tablespoon at a time.