Breakfast burritos are the perfect all-in-one meal that's portable for people on the go. They are full of hearty breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, spicy pepper jack cheese, and hot sauce all wrapped up in a convenient flour tortilla (or corn if you wish) that's easy to eat on the fly.
Make a large batch and then freeze them. They reheat beautifully and make your mornings super quick and easy. Just wrap them up in foil if you are going to reheat them in the oven or with plastic wrap if you are going to microwave them. Then slip them into freezer bags and they will be at your disposal whenever you need them.
You can use any kind of good-quality breakfast sausage and try whisking up the eggs and then bake them in a casserole dish or cook them as one omelet and then cut them into strips to fill the burritos. This helps you make sure that there is enough egg in each burrito and it's easier than scrambled eggs for filling and portion control.
Choose whatever cheese appeals to you, but a nice pepper jack or Mexican cheese blend tastes delicious and melts really nicely, and whatever hot sauce or salsa is your favorite to put on top of the burritos.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Mexican, cheddar, or pepper jack, shredded)
- Optional: taco sauce, hot sauce, or salsa
- 6 tortillas (burrito-sized flour or corn)
Cook the breakfast sausage according to package directions. Make sure it is completely cooked and that there is no pink, about 170 F is appropriate.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Cook in a nonstick skillet as for an omelet or scramble them.
Spread out the tortillas onto a baking sheet. Place an equal portion of the sausage and egg on each tortilla.
Sprinkle an equal amount of shredded cheese on top of each tortilla. Place under the broiler of your oven to melt the cheese. Drizzle each burrito with hot sauce, taco sauce, or salsa.
Roll up the burrito and serve.
- If you are going to freeze the burritos skip the broiler step, drizzle the burritos with the sauce of your choice and roll them up. Wrap each burrito tightly in foil. Place in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. When you are ready to eat the burrito, pop it in a 350 F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or unwrap and microwave for 1 minute.