- 1 pound sausage (breakfast-type, hot or mild)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices bread (crusts removed)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 5 large eggs (well beaten)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the sausage, Cook, breaking up and turning, until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Tear the bread into pieces and sprinkle over the melted butter. Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the torn bread layer.Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the sausage layer.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs with half-and-half, salt, and pepper; pour over the casserole.
- Cover and chill the casserole for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Take the casserole out of the refrigerator about 20 to 30 minutes before baking.
- Uncover the casserole and bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set. If in doubt, check the temperature with an instant-read food thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for eggs and egg dishes is 160 F.
Serve with muffins or sweet rolls and cut-up mixed fruit.
- Add about 1/2 cup of chopped green onions along with the sausage layer.
- Replace the sausage with about 2 cups of diced leftover ham or corned beef, or about 1/2 pound of diced cooked bacon.
- Replace the half-and-half with whole milk or a combination of half milk and half cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||66 g|
|Saturated Fat||34 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|