Easy baked split biscuits make the base for this flavorful sausage and egg breakfast casserole. You may use homemade Southern buttermilk biscuits if you have the time, otherwise, frozen biscuits work wonderfully. Be mindful the biscuits need to be baked beforehand, so plan accordingly.
Well seasoned and with bold flavors, our casserole can be altered for milder preferences by leaving out the cumin and chile or can be spiced up by adding chili flakes, paprika, or any other heat-containing ingredient you'd like.
Great for when you have guests at home, this casserole can also be served at brunch, as it's filling and high in protein thanks to the eggs and sausage. Serve with a green salad, fruit, creamy grits, and a side of fresh salsa. By omitting the sausage you easily can convert this dish into a vegetarian option.
Take a look at the tips and variations for some substitutions and ideas for additional ingredients.
- 8 frozen biscuits (baked according to package directions)
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1 (4 ounces) can mild green chiles (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican-style blend, such as Cheddar Jack)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Butter a 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking dish with butter.
Split the biscuits and butter them lightly with the remaining butter. Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with the split biscuits, cut-side up.
Place a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the sausage and onions to the skillet and cook, breaking up the sausage as it browns.
Add the chile peppers and seasonings to the sausage mixture.
Sprinkle the sausage mixture evenly over the split biscuit layer and then top with the shredded cheese.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, adding the salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the biscuits and sausage.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until set. A knife should come out clean when inserted into the center of the breakfast casserole.
Add-Ons and Substitutions
Here are a few suggestions for you to make the casserole to your own preferences:
- If looking for a leaner version, replace the pork sausage with turkey sausage and use skim milk instead of whole.
- Replace the sausage with about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of diced ham or 8 to 12 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled.
- Replace the biscuits with halved croissants, cubed good quality bread (brioche, challah, Italian), or lightly toasted English muffins.
- Use shredded sharp cheddar cheese or smoked cheddar instead of the Mexican blend.
- For a keto version, skip the biscuits and make an egg, sausage, and cheese power breakfast.