These sausage stuffed mushrooms are simple and tasty, and they make a fabulous appetizer. The sausage stuffing is baked in the mushroom caps. Top them with more shredded mozzarella cheese if you like.
It's a simple recipe with only four ingredients, but feel free to add some finely chopped onion or green onion to the stuffing.
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (large)
- 8 ounces sausage (pork)
- 1/2 cup cheese (shredded mozzarella, plus more for topping if desired)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (fine dry)
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Remove stems from mushrooms; chop stems and set aside.
- Put the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage, stirring and breaking up until it is fully cooked. Remove the sausage to a bowl, leaving 1 or 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet.
- Cook the mushroom stems in the drippings for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and browned. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir the cooked mushroom pieces into the bowl with the sausage. Add the bread crumbs and cheese; blend thoroughly.
- Fill mushroom caps with the sausage mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about15 minutes. If desired, top the stuffed mushrooms with more mozzarella cheese and return to the oven just until the cheese has melted.
Add a few tablespoons of finely minced onion to the skillet and saute along with the sausage.
Add a tablespoon or two of finely minced bell pepper to the skillet with the sausage.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|