- 2 bunches of beet greens (the greens from two bunches of beets), including stems, thoroughly washed
- 2 strips of bacon, diced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Pinch of dried crushed red peppers (optional)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Chop the beet greens and stems into one-inch pieces.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat for a minute, then add the diced bacon. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until some of the bacon fat starts to render out.
- Add the onions and cook for another couple of minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and the optional crushed red peppers and cook for another minute.
- Now add the beet greens and sauté for about five minutes or until the greens are tender and wilted.
- Add the apple juice to the pan and scrape off any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for another two minutes or until the liquid has mostly cooked away.
- Stir in the butter, season to taste with Kosher salt and serve right away.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|