This two-step sautéed broccoli recipe produces a wonderful bright green color and crisp-tender texture.
When broccoli is boiled, especially for a long period of time, it will turn an unappetizing gray-green color, become limp, and the flavor will be lost. You want to cook it until the vegetable is tender but still has a bit of bite to it.
Cooking the broccoli in a large amount of water reduces the bitter sulfur taste it can sometimes have and makes it taste fresh and clean. Then cooking it quickly using a dry-heat method such as sautéing or roasting retains the color and makes the vegetable a bit sweeter. Adding garlic and lemon juice brighten the flavor of this nutritious vegetable.
This is the perfect side dish for many main dishes, including grilled steak, roasted chicken, meatloaf, or a pork roast. Once you know how to make broccoli using this method, you'll never look back!
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the broccoli well under cool running water. Cut the broccoli into individual florets. Cut the stems into pieces roughly the same size as the florets. If the stems have tough skin, peel them using a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler.
- Place the prepared broccoli in a large pot, add water to cover and about 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring the broccoli and water in the pot to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer the broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes or until the broccoli is just crisp-tender. Drain the broccoli thoroughly in a colander in the sink, shaking it to remove most of the water.
- Then heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic for 1 minute until it is fragrant.
- Add the drained broccoli to the skillet with the garlic and oil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is glazed and tender. Sprinkle the broccoli with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|