This kale recipe is nutritious and delicious, and it's very easy to prepare and cook. There's very little fat in the recipe, and it can be reduced even further by using nonstick cooking spray and a little broth to saute the onion. I used the Portuguese hot crushed red peppers (wet, from a jar) in this dish, but feel free to use fresh minced hot peppers for heat. Alternatively, chopped sweet red bell peppers can be used.
- 1 pound kale, large stems removed, chopped, or use frozen chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed
- 1 or 2 hot peppers, minced, or 1 heaping tablespoon Portuguese crushed red peppers from a jar*
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- To cook the kale, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the chopped kale and boil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until stem portions are tender. Or, follow directions on the package if using frozen kale.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat; cook onion until just tender.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add crushed red peppers, kale, and vinegar; cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- Add chopped tomato, salt, and pepper; heat through.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|