These tender, delicious short ribs just can't be beaten for a hearty, satisfying, and impressive meal. In this recipe, the beef short ribs are seared and then braised with a variety of vegetables. Serve them with the wonderful, rich gravy and mashed potatoes.
The number of servings depends on how meaty the short ribs are. Generally, count on about 1 pound per person. If short and very meaty, 1/2 to 3/4 pound per person should be sufficient.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as a cabernet or pinot noir
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 4 to 5 pounds beef short ribs, bone-in
- dash of Salt and pepper
- Several thyme sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- For the Gravy:
- 5 tablespoons butter or skimmed fat from the broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon gravy browning sauce, optional
- Heat the oven to 300° F.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and increase to medium-high.
- Add the short ribs and sear, turning, until browned on all sides. Remove the short ribs and set aside.
- Add the red wine to the pot and bring to a boil. Boil for about 4 to 6 minutes, until reduced by about one-third. Add the beef broth to the pot.
- Arrange the short ribs in the broth and wine mixture and top with the cooked vegetables.
- Add the thyme sprigs.
- Cover and move the Dutch oven to the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours, or until the meat is very tender, almost falling off the bone.
- Remove the meat and vegetables to a platter with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Skim the fat from the broth. Reserve the fat if you will be using it to make the gravy. You will have about 3 cups of broth.
- In the Dutch oven, heat 5 tablespoons of butter or skimmed fat over medium-low heat.
- Add the 1/3 cup of flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened. If desired, stir in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of gravy browning sauce, such as Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet to darken the gravy. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve the short ribs with the gravy and potatoes or noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||99 g|
|Saturated Fat||40 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||48 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|