Savory breakfast summer rolls are the portable, gluten-free breakfast you didn’t know you were missing. We stuffed these Vietnamese rice paper wrappers with some seriously delicious ingredients, such as sweet potatoes, avocado, chorizo, fluffy scrambled eggs, cotija cheese, and scallions. Then, to top it off they’re dipped in a creamy chipotle sauce that’s just the right amount of heat first thing in the morning.
This is the perfect breakfast for those who are gluten free since it uses rice paper. The wraps are inexpensive and low in calories. You’ll especially love these summer rolls if you enjoy the ones you get at your favorite Vietnamese restaurant and you love breakfast burritos.
- For the Summer Rolls:
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage
- 2 cups frozen sweet potato fries
- 4 eggs
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- 1/4 cup scallions (sliced)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.
Prepare the Rolls
Gather the ingredients.
Heat a large sauté pan on medium high heat and brown the chorizo sausage until it is completely cooked through.
Remove the chorizo from the pan and add the sweet potato fries. Saute them on medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned and heated through. Remove the fries from the heat and set aside.
In a separate pan, add the butter and cook the scrambled eggs on medium high heat until cooked through.
Prepare the Dipping Sauce
Gather the ingredients.
While the eggs are cooking prepare the chipotle dip. Blend the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, chipotle pepper, garlic, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Assemble the Rolls
Place a rice paper wrapper in a shallow bowl of warm water. Remove it from the water and place on a clean flat surface.
Place the sweet potato fries, avocado, and scallions down first. Right next to the fries, place a scoop of the scrambled eggs. Top the eggs with the chorizo and cotija cheese.
Place the wrap over the top of the chorizo and cheese side. This will hold in all of the tiny crumbly pieces and make it easier to roll.
Roll the covered section on top of the avocado and sweet potatoes. Then fold in the sides of the wrapper over the top. Continue to roll until it's completely rolled up.
Serve them with the dipping sauce and eat immediately.
- Faux Bagel and Lox: Stuff the wrappers with smoked lox, a smear of cream cheese, scallions, sliced cucumber, red onion, fresh dill, and salty capers.
- Classic BEC: Fill the wrappers with crumbled cooked bacon, scrambled (or over easy eggs), American cheese, salt and pepper and hot sauce.
- BLT: Fill with Bacon, lettuce, tomato. It’s not quite breakfast but works super well for brunch.
- Veggie Scramble: Saute onions, green bell peppers, and tomatoes. Then add eggs, salt and pepper, and some shredded cheddar cheese. Stuff the rolls with the scramble, roll and serve.