These savory broccoli pancakes are a versatile snack or meal component. They can be served in a stack with a fried egg on top for brunch, or in place of cornbread or muffins alongside soup or stew. They make a great snack, dipped in warm marinara sauce or savory yogurt dip. Or they can be made in tiny rounds and topped with a dollop of herbed goat cheese or a morsel of smoked salmon for an appetizer. If you like savory pancakes, be sure to also check out the recipe for savory Corn Pancakes.
Cooking Equipment Needed: Garlic tool, chef's knife, cutting board, measuring cups, measuring spoons, liquid measuring cup, blender (one to try: Blendtec Designer Series 625), electric or stovetop griddle or large nonstick skillet (Try the Presto Cool Touch Electric Griddle or the Swiss Diamond Double Burner Griddle), turning spatula
- 1 cup broccoli florets (fresh)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 shallot (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk (whole)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley (roughly chopped fresh)
- 5 fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Kosher)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Butter, for griddle or pan
- Place the broccoli, garlic, and shallot in a blender and pulse until it’s finely chopped. Add the flour, baking powder, milk and egg. Run the blender on medium speed just until all the ingredients are combined into a thick batter. Add the parsley, chives, salt and pepper and pulse until the parsley is mixed into the batter.
- Heat a skillet or griddle and coat the cooking surface with butter. Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter for each pancake onto the griddle. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the underside is lightly browned, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm under aluminum foil until all the pancakes are made. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: For a savory yogurt dip, combine one cup of plain yogurt with 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Mix well.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|