These cheese biscuits include fresh chopped parsley and Italian herb blend.
Feel free to change the ingredients slightly to suit your taste. Add a few tablespoons of crumbled cooked bacon. Replace the cheddar cheese with shredded pepper jack cheese or a Mexican cheese blend. Or replace the dried Italian seasoning with about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs, such as chives, thyme, basil, and oregano.
The biscuits are excellent with a hearty chili or stew. Or cut them out and place them on top of a pot pie casserole.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese (white or yellow, shredded)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3/4 cup milk (plus more for brushing tops)
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Grease a baking sheet and dust with flour or line it with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and dry mustard.
- Work the butter into the dry mixture with fingers or a pastry blender. The mixture should resemble coarse meal.
- Add the shredded cheese, Italian seasoning, chopped parsley, and milk.
- Mix together lightly with a fork, just until moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently a few times, just until smooth. Don't overwork
- Roll out about 3/4-inch thick; cut out rounds or squares and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. place on a greased and floured baking sheet.
- If desired, brush the tops with milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|