|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 chicken, about 4 pounds, cut up, or use parts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in cubes
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled, or use frozen or canned, drained pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 to 12 ounces chicken sausage or other smoked sausage
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; add celery, onion, and chicken and brown chicken pieces slowly on all sides. Add the broth, thyme, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove chicken pieces and let cool slightly. Skim any visible fat from the broth. Add carrots, potatoes, and onions to the broth; cover and continue simmering.
In a small saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat; sauté the smoked sausage until browned. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until well blended with the fat. Add the sausage mixture to the simmering stew.
Remove chicken from the bones; chop and add to the stew. Bring the stew back to a simmer; cover and continue cooking until vegetables are tender and stew is thickened. Add salt and pepper, to taste.