|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This classic meatloaf is an all-beef meatloaf with oatmeal, onion, and a little garlic. Ketchup topping is traditionally used, but a topping of barbecue sauce would be delicious as well. The oatmeal in the loaf is also a traditional choice, but an equal amount of bread crumbs or crumbled crackers could certainly be substituted.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (crushed and finely minced)
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup (plus more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or sage)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C / Gas 4). Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan or meatloaf pan.
Combine the ground beef, grated onion, egg, garlic, oatmeal, milk, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and sage or thyme.
Blend the mixture thoroughly but don't over-mix.
Pack the ground beef mixture loosely into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes; then remove and carefully pour off any excess grease.
Spread ketchup over the top of the meatloaf and return to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans or broccoli.
- The fat content is the key to the flavor and juiciness of a meatloaf. Choose 80 to 85 percent for the most flavorful and juiciest meatloaf. Replace some of the ground beef with ground pork if your beef is quite lean.
- Meatloaf sandwiches are a great way to use leftovers, but there are other ways. Crumble leftover meatloaf and add it to chili or stuffed peppers, or make meatloaf tacos or grilled cheese and meatloaf sandwiches.
- Bake two and freeze one for another day.
- Add a few tablespoons of minced green or red bell pepper and shredded carrots, if desired.
- For extra moisture, mince any vegetables in a food processor and saute in a tablespoon of vegetable oil before adding to the meatloaf.
- Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of shredded cheese to the meatloaf mixture.
- Use part tomato juice as the liquid in the loaf.