These pumpkin rolls are baked to perfection in a cloverleaf shape with a topping of hulled pumpkin seeds. The dough makes easy, moist and soft rolls. These pumpkin rolls are an excellent choice for a Thanksgiving feast or Christmas dinner.
The pumpkin seeds make a beautiful topping or top them with sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (about 90 F)
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more, as needed
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped roasted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- In a small bowl, whisk the pumpkin with the brown sugar, egg, salt, and soft butter. Blend well.
- In a large bowl, combine the lukewarm water and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin mixture and 2 cups of the flour to the yeast mixture. Mix to blend thoroughly. Add another 1 1/2 cups of flour to the mixture and mix until moistened. Move the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Add small amounts of flour, if necessary, to keep the dough from sticking to the surface or hands.
- Butter a large bowl. Gather the dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Turn to coat all sides of the dough ball with butter. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Divide the dough into 36 pieces, roughly 7/8 ounce each. Shape the dough pieces into small balls and put 3 in each prepared muffin cup.
- Cover the muffin tin with a tea towel and let the rolls rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- For the egg wash, whisk an egg white with 1 teaspoon of water. Gently brush the egg wash over the tops of the rolls. Sprinkle with the chopped pumpkin seeds.
- Bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. The rolls will sound hollow when thumped lightly on the bottom.
- The internal temperature should be around 195 F to 200 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a roll.
- Alternatively, shape the dough into 24 balls and place them side-by-side in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan for smaller pan rolls.
- For a softer crust, make the egg wash mixture with 1 whole egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|