|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||17%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These shrimp fritters are made with mashed potatoes, chopped cooked shrimp, and green onions. Serve shrimp fritters with a tasty Louisiana remoulade sauce, cocktail sauce, or tartar sauce.
The fritters make a delicious snack or appetizer. If you are serving them all at once, keep them warm in the oven (200 F) while frying subsequent batches.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 green onions, finely chopped (include tops)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 small hot or mild chile pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Dash salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs (or more if batter is too thin)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Melt butter in skillet or sauté pan over medium heat; add the shrimp and cook until pink (2 to 3 minutes depending on size). Remove shrimp from skillet with a slotted spoon, cool slightly, then chop finely. Set aside.
- Add the green onions, bell pepper and chile pepper to the butter remaining in the skillet. Saute over medium heat until vegetables are just softened, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the green onion mixture with the mashed potatoes and mix well. Stir in the chopped shrimp and beaten eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in some of the bread crumbs, if needed to make the dough stiff enough to shape.
- Shape the mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Put the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Roll the shrimp and potato balls in the crumbs. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or heavy pot to about 360 F.
- Fry the balls 3 or 4 at a time for about 4 minutes, or until browned and crispy on the outside.
- Remove balls to paper towels; drain and serve immediately.