Looking for a simple, kid-friendly side dish for weekday Passover meals? This Savory Matzo Farfel couldn't be easier to prepare, and it makes a nice change from plain, unadorned matzo. Serve it alongside a saucy dish like this Chicken with Prunes Tsimmes, so you can use the farfel to sop up the sauce. Add some Ginger Roasted Broccoli, and you've got a simple, satisfying family meal.
Farfel is an Ashkenazi Jewish egg pasta similar to spaetzle or nokedli, and sometimes referred to as "egg barley." The pasta isn't kosher for Passover, so matzo farfel——which is simply crushed up matzo-farfel——takes its place. You can buy commercially prepared matzo farfel, but it's just as simple to break up sheets of matzo on your own, as in this recipe.
- 5 sheets of matzo
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken soup broth
- Break the matzo sheets into medium pieces in a bowl.
- Pour just enough warm water over the matzo to dampen it, and then drain after a minute or two.
- Add the beaten eggs and matzo meal. Mix well, breaking matzo into even smaller pieces.
- Heat oil in a large, deep chef's pan or skillet. Saute the matzo until the egg is set and the matzo begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until most of the broth has been absorbed.
- Transfer to a serving dish or platter, and serve immediately.