These wonderful boneless short ribs are slow cooked to perfection with a mixture of red wine and chopped vegetables. Serve these wonderful, tender beef short ribs with your favorite rice dish or mashed potatoes, along with greens for a fabulous everyday family meal. These short ribs are perfect for cold weather days!
- 2 to 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs (or about 4 to 5 pounds bone-in)
- dash Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups
- chicken broth
- large bay leaf
- Optional: a few leaves of fresh or dried rosemary
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper.
- Sear the ribs in the hot oil, turning to brown all sides. Transfer ribs to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery to the same pan and cook, stirring frequently until onions are wilted and lightly browned. Transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add the red wine and chicken broth to the same pan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 7 to 9 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Pour over the ribs in the slow cooker. Add the bay leaf and a little rosemary, if using.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 7 to 9 hours, until ribs, are very tender.
Serves 4 to 5.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||65 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|