This savory sweet potato gratin is a refreshing change of pace from the ubiquitous streusel or marshmallow-topped sweet potato casserole.
This easy gratin is a nice way to enjoy sweet potatoes. The simple combination of sweet potatoes, cream, and cheese makes a great side dish for just about any family meal.
See the tips for an optional buttered bread crumb topping.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Generously butter a 9-inch square baking dish or 2-quart baking dish.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them into 1/4-inch rounds. If the potatoes are very large, cut them in half lengthwise before slicing.
- Arrange about one-third of the sweet potato slices in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the last of the Parmesan cheese.
- Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and distribute evenly over the casserole. Pour heavy cream over all.
- Cover the casserole tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes longer, until potatoes are tender.
Serves 4 to 6.
- If you like a crunchy bread crumb topping, toss 1 cup of soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs over the sweet potatoes after you remove the foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are tender and the topping is browned.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||30 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|