- 2 quarts/1.9 L vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup/120 mL salt (3/4 cup/180 mL Kosher or coarse salt)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL white sugar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL dried sage
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL dried thyme
- 2 quarts/1.9 L cold water
- In a large pot combine vegetable stock, salt, sugar, and herbs over a medium heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the salt is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to cool for 30 minutes or more. Add cold water.
- Place turkey in a large plastic container. Pour brine over top, cover well and refrigerate. Brine turkey for 1 hour per pound.
- Thoroughly rinse all the brine from the turkey before cooking. Otherwise, there will be a salty flavor to the turkey. For a more detailed explanation, see my article on brining a turkey.
- Discard any remaining brine. Pat turkey dry with paper towels (make sure to get inside the cavity too), apply rub and cook as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|