This is an easy, basic scalloped chicken recipe, made with rice, cooked chicken, mushrooms, and a bread crumb topping. Serve this tasty chicken and rice dish with broccoli salad or sliced fresh tomatoes for a fabulous meal.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 2 cups sliced sauteed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 jar (4 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat in a medium saucepan; stir in flour, blending well. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and milk along with the salt and pepper.
- Cook the sauce, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Spread half of the rice in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with half of the chicken, half of the sliced mushrooms, half of the slivered almonds and pimiento.
- Pour half of the sauce over the chicken layer.
- Repeat the layers.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Toss with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Bake the scalloped chicken in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Reader Comments and Suggestions
"Searching for something different to do with leftover chicken, this was a hit. The sauce was wonderful and easy. I used fresh cooked broccoli, other than that I followed the recipe exactly. One thing I really liked was that it did not use a canned soup. So much salt and I just think every casserole taste the same when you use a soup as the sauce. Try it, you will be sure to like it." D.F.
"This is an absolutely delicious recipe that I will make again and again. The only change I made was to use one teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules in place of salt to give the sauce an even richer flavor. The sauce is so wonderful, I could see using it as a homemade cream of chicken soup and adding chicken and corn and potatoes to make a chowder out of it. Delicious! B.M."
"...It was great and I am having company this weekend and I plan to make this casserole again. The almonds and the pimento added so much so please don't leave them out when you try the recipe." C.I.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|