This easy scalloped corn casserole is made with fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
Use a colorful green and red bell pepper mix in this delicious scalloped corn casserole. It takes just minutes to prepare and makes a fabulous dish for a family meal or holiday dinner.
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 3 cups corn kernels (use canned, fresh, or frozen, cooked)
- 1 green bell pepper (finely chopped, or a combination of red and green bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- Dash paprika
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; stir in flour. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
Gradually stir in milk and continue cooking over low heat stirring constantly, until sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add a small amount of the sauce to the beaten egg, stirring briskly.
Stir egg mixture back into the sauce in the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Do not boil.
Add the corn, green pepper, and sugar to the sauce mixture. Heat through.
Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole. Cover with the buttered bread crumbs and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and bread crumbs are browned.
Serve and enjoy!
You Might Also Like