|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
These great-tasting scalloped potatoes are baked to perfection with a creamy onion and bacon sauce. The recipe is easy to prepare and makes an excellent side dish to serve with any meal. Feel free to top the potato casserole with about 1/2 to 1 cup of cheddar cheese just before the potatoes are done.
For a bit of garlic flavor, rub the cut side of a sliced clove of garlic over the bottom and up the sides of the baking dish before buttering.
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg, optional
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Generously butter a 2-quart baking dish.
In a deep skillet or saute pan, cook the bacon until just crisp; remove to paper towels and set aside to drain.
Leave about 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in the skillet and add 3 tablespoons of butter. Saute the onion until softened.
Add the flour and continue cooking, stirring, for about 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened.
Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg, if using. Stir in the cooked bacon.
Layer half of the potato slices in the prepared baking dish.
Spoon half of the sauce mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining potatoes. Spoon the remaining sauce over all.
Cover the casserole tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour.
Remove the foil, return to the oven, and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until the potato slices are fork-tender.
- Potatoes should be sliced very thinly for scalloped potatoes. Another way to hasten the cooking process is to first cook the sliced potatoes in simmering water—or the milk from the ingredients list—for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Red-skinned or Yukon Gold potatoes are good choices because they hold their shape better than higher starch baking potatoes.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce or top the casserole with the cheese when the potatoes are tender and almost done. Continue baking until the cheese has melted.