This vegetable casserole is filled with flavor and color. The basic white sauce brings the vegetables together, and the crunchy buttered bread crumb topping is the perfect finishing touch. Add some grated Parmesan cheese or another type of cheese to the topping before the breadcrumbs, or add cheese to the sauce.
This is an excellent side dish to serve with any meal. Add it to a holiday dinner menu or enjoy it with an everyday meal.
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (sliced)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups peas (frozen)
- 7 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard (dry)
- 2 cups milk
- Optional: salt and black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (fine, fresh)
- Optional: grated Parmesan or other cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Put the sliced carrots, celery, and onion (if using) in a large saucepan. Add about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. cover and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the carrots are barely tender. Add the peas and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Drain in a colander and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender. Remove the mushrooms and add to the vegetables.
- Place the saucepan back over medium heat and melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and dry mustard and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk and continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Add the drained vegetable mixture to the sauce and mix gently to blend.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add the bread crumbs; toss to coat the crumbs thoroughly.
- Turn the vegetables into the buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with Parmesan cheese or another shredded cheese, if desired, and then top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the vegetable filling is bubbling and the topping has browned.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|