Smörgåstårta, also known as a savory sandwich cake and frequently featured at a smorgasbord, is common in Sweden, Estonia and Finland. This version of smörgåstårta recipe features smoked salmon, ripe avocado, and piles of tiny baby shrimp, which contribute to the flavor and the beauty of this seafood smörgåstårta. But these beautiful appetizer tortes can be made in a staggering variety. Consider this Vegetarian Smörgåstårta Recipe. If you allow enough time and follow these steps exactly, you should have a stunning result worthy of the fanciest buffet spread.
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese (softened; 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cooked baby shrimp (aka "bay shrimp" or "fancy shrimp") plus 1 cup shrimp for garnish
- 2 bunches dill (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper (or green, finely chopped)
- 2 avocadoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon capers (roughly chopped)
- 16 slices sandwich-style French bread (the bread needs to be fairly firm, with some texture to it)
- Garnish: Cucumber slices, lemon slices, halved cherry tomatoes, endive, chopped dill, capers, and caviar paste or anchoy paste for additional garnishes
- The day before serving (if possible, since this intensifies the flavors): To Make the basic smörgåstårta spread: Whip together the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream until light and creamy. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the baby shrimp spread: Mix together 1 cup of the cream-cheese mixture, 2 cups cooked baby shrimp, 1 tablespoon chopped dill, and chopped sweet pepper. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the avocado spread: Peel and lightly mash two avocadoes into a chunky spread. Combine with 1/2 cup cream-cheese mixture, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 cup red onion, and 1 tablespoon chopped dill. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the smoked salmon spread: Remove smoked salmon from skin (if present) and dice into small pieces. Fold into 1 cup cream-cheese mixture; mix in 1 tablespoon roughly chopped capers. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To construct the smörgåstårta: Slice the crusts off of the bread. Arrange four slices in a square pattern on a serving plate and thinly butter this bottom layer. Cover completely with the shrimp spread. Thinly butter the bottoms of four more bread slices, then place on top of the shrimp layer. Thinly butter the tops of the slices. Cover completely with the chunky avocado spread. Thinly butter the bottoms of four more bread slices, then place on top of the avocado spread. Thinly butter the tops of the slices. Cover completely with the smoked salmon spread. Thinly butter the bottoms of the final four slices and place on top of the smoked salmon layer. Refrigerate any remaining cream-cheese spread.
- If possible, cover the smörgåstårta with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- If not possible, refrigerate for at least three hours to allow the flavors to blend (it will still taste fabulous!).
- One hour before serving, frost the top and sides of the smörgåstårta with the remaining cream cheese spread. Then, use your creativity to decorate with 1 cup cooked baby shrimp (pile it high for effect!), cucumber slices, lemon slices, halved cherry tomatoes, endive, chopped dill, capers, and caviar paste or anchovy paste.
Edited by Barbara Rolek
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|