Scotch eggs are hard cooked eggs with a sausage crust, served with a creamy butter sauce with a little Dijon mustard. These Scotch eggs make a beautiful and delicious dish for any occasion.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 hard cooked eggs
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs, purchased or home-made, plain or seasoned
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Place a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, divide the sausage into 6 equal portions; wrap 1 portion around each egg. Roll each wrapped egg in bread crumbs.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg with mustard and water; dip sausage-wrapped eggs in beaten egg mixture. Roll in the bread crumbs again, and place in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until browned, turning once during baking. Cut into halves lengthwise; serve hot with Dijon sauce or sauce of your choice.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour; cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly, until smooth and bubbling.
- Add seasonings, then add 1 cup of half-and-half a little at a time.
- Continue whisking until thickened; add more half-and-half until desired consistency is reached.
- Whisk in mustard; serve over Scotch eggs, vegetables, or fried fish.
Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|