|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6-8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Topping off a vegetarian scrambled tofu with cheese can help you in the transition period if eating foods like tofu are new to you, and you're not certain you'll like it. On the other hand, if you're already a seasoned vegan, try this easy scrambled tofu using a soy cheese or any kind of vegan cheese substitute instead of regular cheese.
Another quick recipe note: As written, this recipe serves four to five people, so if you're cooking for fewer, you may want to halve it, particularly if you are serving it alongside some other breakfast dishes. Unless you have two to three very, very hungry folks, in which case, make the full amount!
I'm also personally a big fan of turning tofu scramble recipes into breakfast (or brunch, lunch or even brinner!) burritos and this recipe is perfect for doing just that. You can toss the finished dish into a lightly warmed flour tortilla, wrap it up and gobble it down, or, add a bit of extra cheese and some more breakfast burrito toppings such as avocado slices or homemade guacamole, extra salsa, some hot sauce or taco sauce or a dab of sour cream.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu (crumbled)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped small)
- 4 scallions (chopped)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Gather the ingredients.
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegetarian and vegan tofu recipes, this tofu scramble recipe will turn out best if you press the tofu first. Why? Tofu is like a sponge - the more water you gently press out of it, the more delicious marinade it can soak up.
- Once your tofu is well pressed, crumble or chop it into small bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the crumbled or diced tofu with the bell pepper and scallions in olive oil until the tofu is lightly browned.
- Next, add the tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder and turmeric, stirring to combine well. Heat for another 6-8 minutes until hot and cooked.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, and top with cheese (or vegan cheese) just before serving.