This seafood gumbo starts with a roux, and it's packed with a variety of shellfish, including oysters, shrimp, and crab.
For a medium roux, follow this recipe for a traditional roux and cook it until it is approximately the color of peanut butter.
- 1/4 cup medium roux
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 3 cups okra (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 quarts water
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 6 to 8 green onions (finely chopped)
- 2 pounds shrimp
- 1 cup oysters
- 1 cup crab meat
- 6 crab claws
- Hot cooked rice
Add shrimp to roux and cook for a few minutes. Set aside.
In a large skillet, cook okra and onions in hot oil.
When the okra is just becoming tender, add tomatoes and garlic. Cook a few minutes longer, then add water, salt, and pepper.
Combine shrimp and roux mixture with okra mixture; simmer for about 10 minutes. Add oysters, crab meat, and crab claws; simmer for 15 minutes.
Add parsley and green onions and simmer another 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with hot cooked rice.
- Feel free to adjust the seafood. Make it with all shrimp or shrimp and crab meat or mussels, or simply shrimp and sliced sausage.