|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4-6 bowls salad (4-6 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
"The Cooking Club Cookbook" by Katherine Fausset (Villard Books)
- For the Honey-Lime Dressing:
- About 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
- 5 teaspoons honey, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- For the Seared Sea Scallops:
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed or peanut oil (about)
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds sea scallops, patted dry
- 3 handfuls Mixed greens (such as pea shoots, watercress or arugula mixed with mesclun)
- 2 handfuls chopped vegetables, such as orange bell peppers and jicama
To make dressing:
In a nonreactive bowl whisk together juice, honey, , and salt until honey is completely incorporated.
Taste and adjust accordingly.
To make scallops:
Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add a few scallops to skillet, being careful not to crowd the pan (if scallops are too close, moisture they emit can't escape, and scallops will steam, not sear).
Cook 2 to 4 minutes per side (and at least 30 seconds longer than you think) until golden brown on outside and scallops can be turned easily.
Turn and cook just until opaque throughout (remove 1 scallop and cut it open to check).
Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining scallops.
To serve, arrange greens and vegetables on individual plates. Place scallops on top, whisk dressing to recombine, then drizzle sparingly over top.
Per serving: 382 calories, 31 percent calories from fat, 48 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams total fiber, 13 grams total fat, 92 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium.
Recipe Source: by Katherine Fausset, et al; (Villard Books)
Reprinted with permission.