|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Rice is a filling and delicious side dish to everything, from roasted meats to stews, but it also can be a main dish on its own when you want to serve a vegetarian dish. Pre-packaged seasoned rice is a go-to for many busy home cooks because it comes with lots of flavors and is convenient. Our recipe brings you the best of seasoned rice, without the unnecessary additives of packaged food and with tons of flavor.
This quick and easy side dish is a healthy and flavorful way to spruce up your rice. It's flavored with herbs and butter, so just choose your favorite rice, mix, cook, and serve dinner in just 30 minutes. If using brown rice, be mindful that it takes twice, and sometimes three times, as much time as white rice. No matter the kind of rice you're using, check the bag as the amounts of water needed vary depending on the type of grain. The uncooked rice, dry herbs, and seasonings can be mixed and kept in the pantry for up to six months.
Make the Rice Mix
Gather the ingredients.
Mix the uncooked rice, dried parsley flakes, bouillon powder, onion powder, and thyme leaves in a medium bowl.
Pour into a tightly sealed glass or plastic container and store for up to 6 months.
Cook the Rice
In a medium saucepan, add the necessary amount of liquid for 1 cup of the seasoned rice you're using. Depending on the grain it can vary between 2 or 3 cups of liquid. You may use broth as well. Add butter as well, and bring the mixture to a boil.
Stir in 1 cup of the rice mix. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes for white rice and 35 to 45 minutes for brown rice, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
How to Serve a Vegetarian Rice Main Dish?
Rice is filling, packed with fiber, and delicious as a vegetarian main. Here are a few options on how to serve your rice as a vegetarian main:
- Beans and salsa: Serve the rice with a side of beans and salsa, slices of avocado, and some lime wedges to add some acidity.
- Seaweed and tofu: Either a seaweed salad or roasted packaged seaweed can complete this easy and flavorful dish. Top your rice with the seaweed of your choice, and serve with baked or fried tofu.
- Roasted vegetables and gravy: Roast any vegetables you have at hand, seasoning them generously with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve the rice with vegetables and some vegetarian mushroom gravy to add some richness to the dish.
It's easy to customize the flavor of this spiced rice by swapping out or adding to the dried spices. Some good options include:
- Cajun-style: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried garlic, celery salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper to the mix.
- Italian-style: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and dried oregano to the mix.
- Greek-style: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano, lemon pepper, dried garlic, dried marjoram, and a pinch of nutmeg to the mix. Add a squeeze of lemon when fluffing the cooked rice.
- Mexican-style: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried garlic, dried parsley, paprika, dried oregano, and dry cumin to the mix. When cooking the rice, add 4 tablespoons of tomato paste to the cooking liquid.
- Indian-style: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried cilantro, dark mustard seeds, chili flakes, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, and turmeric to the mix. When making the rice, add 2 cloves to the cooking liquid, and remove the cloves when serving.