This recipe for Serbian apricot torte (torta praska) is made with a layered yeast dough that requires no rising, apricot filling, and crackly meringue topping.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/3 cups (2 sticks + 5 1/3 tablespoons) softened butter
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 to 14 ounces apricot filling or jam
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and set aside. Coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and flour. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks, sour cream, and dissolved yeast. Add to flour mixture and blend until a ball of dough forms. Do not knead. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. On a lightly floured board, roll 1 part into a 13x9-inch rectangle and place in prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, 1 1/4 cups sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over dough in pan. Roll out a second piece of dough and place on top. Spread with apricot filling or jam. Roll out remaining piece of dough and place on top. Bake 50-55 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form. Remove torte from oven and spread egg whites over top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Bake until meringue is golden and crackly. Remove from oven and cool completely. Cut into squares, dipping knife in cold water and wiping it clean after each cut.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|