|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||23%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
There are many variations of raznjici (RAHZ-nyee-chee). Some use only pork, others use a combination of pork and veal, and sometimes lamb. The meat is usually marinated before being threaded on skewers (a great project for the kids) and grilled. If you don't want to fuss with making your own marinade, Italian dressing works in a pinch.
"I used pork to make the Serbian kebabs, and they were very good. It was an extremely easy preparation, and the list of ingredients is simple. I used about 18 fresh bay leaves, and a few of them were small enough to leave whole." —Diana Rattray
2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes, or a combination of pork and veal
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup thinly sliced onions, plus more coarsely chopped for serving
15 small bay leaves, cut or broken in half if large
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the meat cubes dry and sprinkle them with generously with salt and pepper.
Place in a nonreactive bowl or pan with the oil, garlic, and sliced onions. Toss to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high (350F to 375F), or position a rack 6 to 8 inches from the heat and turn the broiler to high. Remove meat from bowl and discard the marinade. Thread 2 meat cubes alternately with 1 bay leaf half on skewers for a total of about 6 to 8 meat cubes per skewer.
Cook the meat until the it reaches an internal temperature of 145F, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Raznjici may be removed from the skewers before serving or left on. Sprinkle chopped onion over razjnici and serve.
Glass Bakeware Warning
Do not use glass bakeware when broiling or when a recipe calls to add liquid to a hot pan, as glass may explode. Even if it states oven-safe or heat-resistant, tempered glass products can, and do, break occasionally.
Lean pork tenderloin or loin are good choices for skewers because they cook quickly. Lean pork can also become dry, so watch it closely to avoid overcooking. The USDA recommends a safe minimum temperature of 145 F for pork.
- If the meat is very lean, thread small slices of bacon onto the skewers with the bay leaves.
- Add a few tablespoons of an acidic ingredient to the marinade, such as red wine vinegar or lemon juice.
How to Store
- Refrigerate leftover shish kebab in a covered container within 2 hours of cooking and eat within 4 days.
- To freeze the raznjici, transfer to an airtight freezer container or resealable freezer bag. Label the pork with the name and date and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- The best way to heat leftover pork is in small amount of oil in a covered skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Cook, turning for about 8 to 12 minutes, or until the pork reaches 165 F in the center of the largest pieces.