In this recipe for Serbian coleslaw, vinegar and oil are used to dress the shredded cabbage instead of sour cream, mayonnaise or heavy cream.
It's a perfect warm-weather salad because the fear of mayonnaise sitting out in the heat and causing foodborne illness is a moot point.
Some cooks add shredded carrot, while others leave it out entirely. As with recipes of this type, the dish tastes better when made several hours or even a day ahead. Purchase shredded cabbage and carrots to save time.
- 1 pound shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup carrots (peeled and shredded)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (white)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, onion, and parsley.
- In a separate small bowl, thoroughly combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, salt, white pepper, and lemon juice.
- Toss with cabbage mixture until well coated.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 3 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, mix coleslaw and adjust seasonings.
More Serbian Picnic Foods
Outdoor cooking, grilling, and spit roasting are traditional forms of food preparation among Serbs who treat feasting as a celebration of life.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|