|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This Serbian recipe for potato salad (krompir salata) is made with a vinegar-and-oil dressing.
Since mayonnaise or sour cream are not used to bind the potatoes and vegetables, this version of potato salad is a perfect picnic item in terms of food safety.
This potato salad tastes best if you allow the flavors to marry in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before serving.
- 6 large white or Yukon Gold potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced or diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced thinly or 1 bunch sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Place potatoes and onions in a large bowl.
In a screw-top jar, add vinegar, oil, garlic, red pepper, salt, sugar, and black pepper.
Cover with the lid and shake vigorously. Toss potatoes with dressing.
Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
For best flavor, allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.