This Serbian recipe for potato salad (krompir salata) is made with a vinegar-and-oil dressing.
Since mayonnaise or sour cream are not used to bind the potatoes and vegetables, this version of potato salad is a perfect picnic item in terms of food safety.
This potato salad tastes best if you allow the flavors to marry in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before serving.
- 6 large white or Yukon Gold potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced or diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced thinly or 1 bunch sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place potatoes and onions in a large bowl.
- In a screw-top jar, add vinegar, oil, garlic, red pepper, salt, sugar, and black pepper.
- Cover with the lid and shake vigorously. Toss potatoes with dressing.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- For best flavor, allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|