|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 39g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for Serbian potato-stuffed peppers is from Vlada Vladic, who was born in Serbia. While the traditional Serbian recipe doesn't include tuna, Vlada adds it to incorporate protein into the dish, making it more nutritious for her young family. This meatless dish is perfect for fasting times like Advent and the Great Lent.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium finely chopped onion
- 2 ribs finely chopped celery
- 2 large peeled and shredded carrots
- 4 to 5 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1/4 cup water or more, as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 medium red bell peppers (or a combination of red and yellow)
- 2 medium shredded zucchini or yellow squash (optional)
- 2 (5-ounce) cans undrained white albacore tuna in water (optional)
Heat oil in large skillet and add onions. Saute for 7-8 minutes. Add celery and carrots and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes more, adding water to prevent potatoes from sticking to the pan. Mix in parsley.
While the vegetables are cooking in step 1, wash the peppers, cut off the tops and remove the seeds. Lightly season with salt and set aside while you finish the filling.
At this point, to the cooked potato mixture, Vlada adds the chopped pepper tops, shredded squash for flavor and to add a creaminess to the dish, and the tuna (water and all) to bulk up the protein. Mix well.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a deep baking pan with cooking spray. Fill peppers with stuffing. Cover and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and fresh bread.