|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 Pounds Beans (6-8 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 56g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 17g||60%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Green beans in the Serbian style are often combined with tomatoes and garlic and, sometimes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and green peppers.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 large chopped onions
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3 ribs chopped celery
- 3 peeled and chopped carrots (optional)
- 1 small peeled and chopped turnip (optional)
- 1 peeled and chopped parsnip (optional)
- 2 chopped green peppers (optional)
- 1 (28-ounce) can, stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until onion is translucent. Add celery, and carrots, turnip, and parsnip if using, and saute 2 minutes.
Add remainder of ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, adding water if necessary during the cooking process. Season to taste with salt and pepper.