Green beans in the Serbian style are often combined with tomatoes and garlic and, sometimes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and green peppers.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 large chopped onions
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3 ribs chopped celery
- 3 peeled and chopped carrots (optional)
- 1 small peeled and chopped turnip (optional)
- 1 peeled and chopped parsnip (optional)
- 2 chopped green peppers (optional)
- 1 (28-ounce) can, stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until onion is translucent. Add celery, and carrots, turnip, and parsnip if using, and saute 2 minutes.
- Add remainder of ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, adding water if necessary during the cooking process. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|