- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or dry sherry
- a few drops of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste, or more if desired
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (see recipe directions for a link to how to toast)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups peanut oil for deep-frying
Gather the ingredients.
Toast the sesame seeds and set aside.
Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients together and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
To prepare the sauce: mix all of the sauce ingredients. Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
To deep-fry the chicken: add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.
Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.