These country-style pork ribs are slow cooked to perfection with a delicious sauce mixture. The Asian-style sauce is a sublime combination of honey, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Some vinegar adds sweet-sour flavor, and ketchup gives the sauce body.
Are you always looking for ways to add vegetables to your family's diet? Go ahead and add some sliced or matchstick carrots to the crock pot along with the onions, if you'd like. Or add some red or green bell pepper strips about 45 minutes before serving time.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 pounds boneless country style pork ribs
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar with the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt, and cayenne pepper. Blend well.
- Add the country-style ribs to the sauce and turn to coat.
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise and slice it thinly. Arrange the sliced onion in the slow cooker; place the ribs and sauce on top of the onion.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, or until the pork is tender.
- Remove the ribs to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- To thicken the sauce, pour the liquids into a saucepan (strain through a mesh sieve if you want a fairly clear sauce) and boil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until reduced slightly and the flavors are concentrated. Combine the cornstarch with the 2 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth. Stir the cornstarch "slurry" into the liquids and continue cooking until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Drizzle the sauce over the ribs and then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion tops, if using.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||42 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|