|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 18|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 25g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We're not sure how the name came about, but you can call it anything you like. Alternatively, it's called "Robert Redford Dessert," "Next-Best-Thing to Robert Redford" and "Better-Than-Sex Dessert." Whatever you choose to name it, your friends and family will love it. If you take it to a party or potluck event, make sure you have a few copies of the recipe.
You can try topping the dessert with Heath toffee chips and mini semisweet chocolate chips. See the tips and variations for more substitutions and ideas.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
4 cups frozen whipped topping (approximately 12 ounces), thawed as directed, divided
1 (5.1-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 (5.9-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding mix
4 cups cold milk, divided
Shaved chocolate, mini chocolate chips, toasted coconut, chopped pecans, or toffee chips, garnish
Gather ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Combine flour, butter, and pecans and press into a 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes. Remove the pan to a rack and cool completely.
In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and then fold in 2 cups of the whipped topping. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled cookie layer.
Beat the package of vanilla pudding with 2 cups of cold milk. Spoon evenly over the cream cheese and whipped topping layer.
Beat the package of chocolate pudding with the remaining 2 cups of milk. Spread the chocolate pudding over the vanilla pudding layer.
Spread the remaining 2 cups of whipped topping over the chocolate pudding.
Sprinkle with miniature chocolate chips, milk chocolate shavings or curls, toasted coconut, toffee chips, chopped pecans, or a combination.
Cover the pan and refrigerate the dessert until serving time.
- Remove the R-rating and call it "Robert Redford Dessert."
- An offset icing spatula is a handy tool; use it to spread the layers evenly in the pan all the way to the edges.
- To quickly toast coconut or pecans for the topping, spread them in a large dry skillet. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Replace the second tub of whipped topping with 2 cups of fresh sweetened whipped cream and top the dessert just before serving time.
- Substitute two envelopes of Dream Whip whipped topping for the frozen whipped topping, made as directed with cold milk.
- Replace the vanilla or chocolate instant pudding with butterscotch, cheesecake, or French vanilla instant pudding.