This sinfully rich layered dessert is similar to the chocolate delight dessert, with layers of cream cheese, whipped topping and two kinds of pudding on a simple baked shortbread crust.
We're not sure how the name came about, but you can call it anything you like. Alternatively, it's called "Robert Redford Dessert," "Next-Best-Thing to Robert Redford" and "Better-Than-Sex Dessert." Whatever you choose to name it, your friends and family will love it. If you take it to a party or potluck event, make sure you have a few copies of the recipe.
You can try topping the dessert with Heath toffee chips and mini semisweet chocolate chips. See the tips and variations for more substitutions and ideas.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed as directed (approximately 12 ounces, divided)
- 1 (5.1-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding
- 1 (5.9-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding
- 4 cups cold milk, divided
- Shaved chocolate, mini chocolate chips, toasted coconut, chopped pecans, or toffee chips, for topping
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour, butter and pecans and press into a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes. Remove the pan to a rack and cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and then fold in 2 cups of the whipped topping. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled cookie layer.
- Beat the package of vanilla pudding with 2 cups of cold milk. Spoon evenly over the cream cheese and whipped topping layer.
- Beat the package of chocolate pudding with the remaining 2 cups of milk. Spread the chocolate pudding over the vanilla pudding layer.
- Spread the remaining 2 cups of whipped topping over the chocolate pudding.
- Sprinkle with miniature chocolate chips, milk chocolate shavings or curls, toasted coconut, toffee chips, chopped pecans or a combination.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate the dessert until serving time.
- Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
Tips and Variations
- If you have an offset icing spatula, use it to spread the layers evenly in the pan.
- Replace the second tub of whipped topping with 2 cups of fresh sweetened whipped cream and top the dessert just before serving time.
- Replace the vanilla or chocolate instant pudding with butterscotch, cheesecake, or French vanilla instant pudding.
- Substitute two envelopes of Dream Whip whipped topping for the frozen whipped topping, made as directed with cold milk.
- To quickly toast coconut or pecans for the topping, spread them in a large dry skillet. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned and aromatic.