Simple and delicious roast chicken is a regular feature for many families on the Friday night Shabbos dinner table.
You can vary it by using different vegetables each week. And you can use whole or pre-cut pieces of chicken, depending on what is on sale at the meat counter.
The trick is having a good roasting pan that seals in the juices and flavors. This roast chicken recipe is so easy to prepare, healthy, moist and flavorful, your guests will be asking for the recipe.
- 1 (3 1/2-pound/1.5-k) whole chicken (or the equivalent amount of chicken pieces)
- 1/4 cup oil (olive)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion (cut into eighths)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 2 medium zucchini (cut into large chunks)
- 8 garlic cloves (left whole)
- Place chicken in a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, mix oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Rub on chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375 F/190 C.
- Distribute the vegetables around the chicken, rubbing the vegetables and the chicken with the marinade.
- Roast the chicken, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is browned on top and cooked through.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|