Make your own delicious Shaking Baking Coating mix, or Shake 'n Bake, to control flavors and sodium. A homemade mix is always going to be better than any packaged product, simply because the ingredients are fresher, and you can flavor the mix as you'd like. Use it on Shakin' Bakin' Chicken!
You can flavor this recipe any way you'd like. If you aren't a fan of paprika, just omit it and add some dried thyme or marjoram leaves. Dry mustard powder is a good addition if you like mustard. Use your imagination!
Try using this mix on fish too - just dip fish in slightly beaten egg whites or buttermilk, and coat in the mix. Bake until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Or use it on slices of pork tenderloin. Bake that meat until a meat thermometer registers 145°F. The meat will be moist and tender, with a wonderful crisp and slightly crunchy crust.
You can freeze this homemade mix up to 4 months. When you want to use it, dip some out of the freezer container and let it stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Then use as directed.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups finely crushed saltine crackers
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Mix all dry ingredients together well in a very large bowl.
2. Drizzle oil over mixture and mix thoroughly until oil is well distributed and particles are fine.
3. Store the mix, refrigerated, in a tightly covered container. Adjust spices and salt level to your taste and nutritional needs.
4. To use, coat chicken, pork, or fish with buttermilk or slightly beaten egg. Dip into the mix to coat thoroughly, then place on baking sheet.
Bake at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes for boneless chicken breasts, about 20 minutes for pork tenderloin slices, and 10-15 minutes for fish fillets.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|