This flavorful shallot and red wine steak topper works well on most steaks but is recommended for filets and rib eye steaks. So, next time you want a fine dining experience at home, make this elegant steak topper.
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (240 mL) dry red wine
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) olive oil
Saute chopped shallots in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine and remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes.
Once shallots and wine are well incorporated (should be thick), remove the pan from the heat and allow mixture to cool completely.
In a small bowl, combine softened butter with shallot mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until steak topper is firm.