|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The shamrock shaker is a smooth, creamy cocktail that's low-proof and absolutely delicious. It's an ideal drink for St. Patrick's Day celebrations, complete with a green and gold dusting on top, but it's just as enjoyable any other day of the year.
This recipe is incredibly easy, requiring just three common ingredients. It simply mixes coffee and amaretto liqueurs with a bit of milk. There's nothing fancy about it, but it is a very enjoyable cocktail. The colorful garnish really sets it off, giving it the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow feel that's perfect for the holiday.
1 1/2 ounces coffee liqueur
1/2 ounce amaretto liqueur
2 1/2 ounces milk
Edible green and gold powder, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the coffee and amaretto liqueurs, and milk. Fill with ice.
Sprinkle the green and gold powders on the top. Serve and enjoy.
- The edible green and gold powder that is used for the garnish can be found at cake-decorating supply stores or that section of grocery stores.
- Alternatively, you can use colored sugar, and it's easy to make at home. Add four to five drops of food coloring to about 1/8 cup of white sugar. Mix it with a fork for a couple of minutes until the sugar becomes a consistent color. Lay the sugar out in a thin pile on wax paper to dry overnight.
- Generally, the best milk cocktails are made with 2 percent or whole milk. Lighter milk options like skim will create a very thin cocktail after shaking.
- For a richer cocktail, switch to half-and-half or cream.
- Give the drink an extra kick by adding a shot of vodka: pour 1 ounce of vodka and cut the milk to 1 1/2 ounces. You could even try flavored vodkas like vanilla, chocolate, or one of those whipped cream options.
- To keep in the Irish spirit, try it with a shot of Irish whiskey.
- Transform this cocktail into a boozy milkshake if you like! Simply combine all the ingredients in a blender with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and blend until smooth. Pour it into a tall glass, add some whipped cream on top, then sprinkle it with the gold and green powders.
How Strong Is a Shamrock Shaker?
The shamrock shaker may look like a martini, but it has a significantly lower alcohol content. Since the milk makes up most of the drink's volume, it shakes up to a very mild 8 percent ABV (16 proof). That's lighter than a glass of wine.