|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 16g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Are you ready to get "shamrocked"? This easy green mix is a fantastic shot for St. Patrick's Day, and it's utterly delicious. Imagine a light, fruity flavor against a creamy background with, of course, a little bit of Irish whiskey tossed into the mix.
This recipe was created by bartender Victoria D'Amato-Moran. It relies less on Irish whiskey and more on melon-flavored liqueur to create a smooth and sweet (but not too sweet) shot that anyone can enjoy. Melon liqueur isn't hard to find, and it's also what's responsible for the bright green color, which certainly adds a festive element to this shot. (If you find you like it and are looking for other ways to incorporate it, the shamrocker cocktail also uses melon.) The shooter goes down very easily; it doesn't leave you feeling like you've just had a shot, and the recipe makes four—enough to share.
1/2 ounce Irish whiskey
2 ounces melon liqueur
1/2 ounce Irish cream liqueur
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Shake very well.
Strain into a shot glass.
Serve and enjoy.
- Once mixed, the recipe will produce a volume around 3 1/2 ounces, which should fill two average-sized shot glasses with a little left over. You can easily double the recipe and shake up four shots in a single shaker.
- Make the shot just a little smoother by serving it in frosty shot glasses. Keep a few in the freezer so they're always ready when you want to mix up a drink.
- This shot is almost too good to drink in one gulp. You can savor the creamy taste by straining the shot into a chilled cocktail glass for a beautiful green martini-style drink.
- It's also a delicious sipper when served on the rocks in an old-fashioned glass. In this case, pouring a full shot (1 1/2 ounces) of whiskey is a great idea and gives the drink a little more oomph.
- Not a fan of whiskey? Try the shooter with brandy, rum, or vodka. You may be losing one "Irish" ingredient, but the green color will still fit the St. Patrick's Day theme perfectly.
How Strong Is a Shamrocked Shot?
This shot tastes really good, but it's also pretty strong because it's made entirely of liquor. While it will vary depending on the spirits you pour, the shamrocked shot should have an alcohol content in the 22 percent ABV (44 proof) range. It's not the strongest shot you can drink, but it's also not the lightest. Keep that in mind so you don't get more drunk than you intend.