This Shanghai stir-fried noodle with chicken dish uses Shanghai-style noodles. These are thick noodles that are packaged in plastic bags and sold fresh in Asian/Chinese markets. If you can’t get hold of Shanghai noodles then feel free to replace them with Japanese Udon noodles or you can use thick Italian pasta. Great pasta alternatives include linguini and Tagliatelle.
This Shanghai stir-fried noodle dish serves two to four people as is usually served as a side dish. As with a lot of Eastern cooking, feel free to adjust the amount of seasoning to suit your personal preference. If you are interested in other noodle recipes, check out our Top 15 Chinese Noodle Recipes for more ideas and inspiration.
- 8 ounces chicken breast
- 1/2 pound Shanghai-style noodles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, or as needed
- 1 cup cabbage (shredded)
- 1 large clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 spring onion
- Marinade for Chicken:
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground black or white pepper to taste
- Pinch of cornstarch
- Other seasonings:
- 6 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce, mix with 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Extra soy sauce, salt or sugar for seasonings as desired
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch or bite-size cubes or you can cut the chicken into slices or strips.
- Add the marinade ingredients to marinade the chicken for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the remainder of the ingredients. In a large saucepan, cook the noodles in boiling water, stirring to separate, until the noodles are tender but still firm (al dente). Drain thoroughly. Rinse with cold water, drain again, and toss with sesame oil.
- Wash and finely shred the cabbage.
- Peel and mince the garlic. Cut the spring onion into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat up 2 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium-high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the chicken cubes. Stir-fry until they turn white and are nearly cooked through. Remove from the wok.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the cabbage. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Season with a bit of soy sauce and /or sugar while stir-frying if desired. Remove from the wok.
- Heat up 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in the wok. When the oil is hot, add the noodles. Stir-fry quickly, stirring to coat the noodles in the oil and make sure they don’t stick to the pan.
- Add the hoisin sauce, again tossing to coat the noodles. Taste and add salt and/or soy sauce as desired. Add the cooked chicken and cabbage.
- Add the spring onion and stir to heat through. Serve hot.
This recipe uses chicken as one of the main ingredients but feel free to use pork or beef instead. If you want to use pork or beef, I would recommend you marinade the pork and beef with:
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon rice wine or Shaoxing rice
Marinade 15 to 30 minutes before cooking.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|